Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a pathbreaking innovation that is giving industries the power to reinvent their business processes. When it comes to transportation, we have been stuck with similar technology for a long time now.
The amalgamation of AI with modern vehicles has paved the way for a new generation of smart autonomous vehicles that have the potential to improve road safety, reduce costs and offer a lot of other benefits.
AI & Transportation: A Match Made in Heaven
Advantages of Artificial Intelligence for the Transportation Industry
“Companies all over the Globe are Harnessing the AI potential to test and Operate Autonomous Vehicles for Quite Some time Now. “
Cab hailing services like Uber, automotive companies like Daimler, technology companies like Google and IBM all are in a race to create the most sophisticated vehicle with artificial intelligence that can promise safe travel for humans. Here is why companies are increasingly focusing on AI:
- Reduced Labor Costs
- Improved Efficiency & Productivity
- Possibility of Round the Clock Operations
- Better Real-time Connectivity & Monitoring
- Greater Control over Operations
Potential Use Cases of AI-powered Transportation Solutions
Artificial Intelligence in the transportation segment can take many forms. Apart from smart autonomous vehicles, artificial intelligence can help companies, commuters and the administration in the following:
- Reducing Number of Road Accidents: Self-driving vehicles are known to be more efficient in analyzing patterns, detecting anomalies, and staying alerts round the clock. This leaves them in a better position to stay on the road and reduce the chances of road accidents which happen due to human negligence and inattentiveness.
- Systemizing Traffic Flow: Smart traffic algorithms, along with real-time tracking of vehicles, allow authorities to manage traffic efficiently. By studying and analyzing patterns in real-time, authorities can reduce congestion on the road. At the same time, public transport schedules can also be streamlined with the help of AI technology.
- Improving Public Safety: Authorities can also streamline pedestrian traffic and cyclist to ensure they have a safe environment while on the roads. At the same time, they track real-time crime data in public transport. This ensures that they improve their patrolling efficiency and eliminate chances of crime.
- Supply Chain Decision Making: A connected freight system can offer real-time insights to companies operating a fleet. This can help them in making informed decisions regarding business operations.
The Future of Transportation with Artificial Intelligence
The future belongs to AI. According to several industry estimates, there would be millions of self-driving vehicles on the road in the next five years.
“Major Automotive Companies including, Mercedes, BMW and, Tesla, already have working Prototypes and Car Models Operating on AI Technology.”
AI is not only revolutionizing passenger vehicles but also delivery, logistics and shipping operations. AI gives operators the power to become data-driven, which improves their efficiency. Here are some of the transportation segments where we will see AI making an impact in the future:
- Autonomous Passenger Cars
Companies like Tesla are eager to make autonomous cars commercially viable for the end-users. Already, multiple players in the industry are motivated to change the way we move around from one place to another. The future looks quite promising for autonomous private travel.
- Self-driving trucks
Trucks are an essential part of human lives. From transporting goods from one place to another to collecting garbage, trucks are known to complete menial yet important tasks. Already, companies are using some form of technology for transportation and logistics. In the future, it would not be a surprise to see self-driving trucks doing all major logistics and freight transport tasks.
- Driverless City Buses
Several towns and cities in Europe are already trying driverless buses for tourists and daily commuters. AI has the power to revolutionize public transportation using GPS, sensors, IoT and other technologies to improve transportation safety.
- AI-driven Traffic Management
AI-based traffic management systems will reduce the instances of traffic jams and congestion in urban areas. Several South-East Asian countries are already working on creating smart traffic management systems that analyze patterns and suggest the best traffic routes in real-time to drivers.
- Autonomous Air Taxis
AI-powered drones for passenger travel will be a game-changer in the field. Already being used for deliveries in several countries, one will surely see autonomous air taxis plying in the near future. Dubai had already shown the potential uses of electric air taxis in 2017.
- Autonomous Cargo Ships
Seas can be treacherous and cargo shipping is a complex industry for humans. Companies like Rolls Royce are working on unmanned cargo ships that can be controlled remotely, thus streamlining the shipping industry without the need for human labour. The future of AI-based shipping industry is closer.
- Driverless Trains and Metros
Autonomous trains have also become a reality in this world. All over the world, driverless trains are being tested. London recently operated an autonomous train’s test run in the underground systems. In India too, driverless metro coaches are also in advanced stages of testing and production.
- Bio Tickets for Transport Networks
AI-based embedded microchips are being touted as the future of public transport. Passengers can implant microchips in their hands that can remove the need for checking in and out of the public transport network anytime. The fare will get deducted automatically as one moves in, eliminating chances of evasion, thus reducing losses of the transport networks.
Artificial Intelligence has a massive potential to change the way how we approach to travel and move around. And the implications are far-reaching as nearly every industry is dependent on travel and logistics. With the growth of AI technology and its advancements, more and more use cases would emerge in the future. It’s better to be prepared for the future by getting in touch with a few AI development company to explore the potential of AI for your industry.